Although beauty is in the eye of the beholder, some people look more facially appealing. The more symmetrical a person’s face is, the more beautiful they look. The golden ratio is a number that represents symmetry. If your face is asymmetrical, you most likely have features deviating from the golden ratio. Fortunately, there are several cosmetic options suitable for correcting face asymmetry and improving facial beauty. Read further to learn more about the golden ratio and cosmetic surgeries that can make your face more symmetrical.
Minnesota Plastic Surgeon Dr. Chopra is a talented and experienced plastic surgeon with a keen eye for details and facial aesthetics. He has helped hundreds of patients achieve their dreams with the help of surgical and non-surgical facial procedures.
What Is The Golden Ratio?
The golden ratio, also known as the divine proportion, is the division of a line into two proportions. The ideal balance is a ratio of 1:1.618. This ratio suits several aspects of life – architecture, art, and plants. Experts say humans subconsciously judge a person’s facial beauty based on the golden ratio.
How Does The Golden Ratio Apply To Facial Beauty?
A visually appealing face is a proportional face. Expert cosmetic surgeons like Dr. Karan Chopra use the golden ratio to explain facial proportions and how to balance them. Some of the ways the golden ratio applies to facial beauty include the following:
- The ratio between the length and width of a visually balanced face is 1:1.618;
- The distance between the top of the nose and the lips’ center should be approximately 1.618 times the distance between the lips’ center and the chin;
- The volume of the lower lip should be about 1.6 times the volume of the upper lip;
- The length of the ear should be similar to the length of the nose;
- The distance between the hairline and the upper eyelid should be 1.618 times the distance between the top of the upper eyebrow to the lower eyelid;
- The width of an eye should be similar to the distance between both eyes.
Is The Golden Ratio A Standard Of Beauty?
Although the golden ratio measures aesthetic beauty, it is not the standard. Many people considered to be beautiful even lie outside of this measurement. Instead, the golden ratio is a reference point for cosmetic treatments. Dr. Karan Chopra helps you understand the relationship between your facial features and how they contribute to your appearance.
Before undergoing treatment, your surgeon will assess the facial feature’s effects without altering any other feature. Dr. Chopra can use surgical or non-surgical methods to enhance facial features where necessary to beautify your face further.
What Are The Causes Of Facial Asymmetry?
Although no face has perfect symmetry, some people experience more asymmetrical facial features. For instance, you could have one droopy cheek or a slightly crooked smile. Some of the causes of facial asymmetry include;
- Genetics: asymmetrical facial features run in families. It may be genetic if you have the same asymmetric features as family members;
- Injury: accidents and work-related injuries can affect the face’s proportion. For instance, a fractured cheekbone or a broken nose are injuries that cause face asymmetry;
- Aging: the body loses its elasticity with age. Therefore, some parts of the face droop, leading to uneven cheeks. In addition, wrinkles also lead to an asymmetric facial appearance;
- Bad posture: applying pressure on one side of your face than the other can lead to facial asymmetry. Frequently resting your hand on one side of your face or sleeping on your face can cause asymmetry;
- Dental work: tooth removal can affect your bite, making your face look sunken. Consequently, the bite affects the appearance of your lower face, causing face asymmetry;
- Smoking: smoking and consuming tobacco products expose you to nicotine. Unfortunately, this chemical affects skin elasticity, damaging your facial appearance;
- Sun exposure: UV rays exposure can cause patches and spots on your skin. Unfortunately, these patches are not evenly distributed, leading to facial asymmetry.
Who Needs To Correct Facial Asymmetry?
When you stand in front of a mirror and your facial features are not perfect images on either side of your face, you may have an asymmetrical look. It is important to note that a certain degree of asymmetry is natural.
However, suppose the asymmetry is more pronounced. In that case, it means your face is not close to the golden ratio and looks uneven. For example, you may need to correct asymmetry if one of your eyebrows is higher than the other or one of your eyes looks more closed. Also, if your cheek is fuller on one side or your nose is crooked towards a particular side, you can visit your surgeon for correction.
Furthermore, if one of your ears looks bigger, one side of your face has more wrinkles, or your chin is uneven, you may need to correct facial asymmetry.
How to Improve The Golden Facial Ratio?
The asymmetry becomes more prominent if your facial features heavily deviate from the golden ratio. Fortunately, surgical and non-surgical procedures target different facial features to give you a more symmetrical look.
Surgical Procedures to Improve Golden Ratio
Rhinoplasty is a nose job. This procedure can fix a crooked nose to make a face more proportional. Dr. Karan Chopra uses rhinoplasty to reshape the nose tip and wide nostrils and straighten the septum. A rhinoplasty procedure can be non-surgical or surgical.
Non-surgical rhinoplasty is also known as liquid rhinoplasty. It is a quick procedure that contours the nose and smoothens bumps. It is important to note that although liquid rhinoplasty has little to no recovery time, the procedure only provides temporary results.
Surgical rhinoplasty, on the other hand, is invasive. As a result, the procedure corrects functional and structural issues with your nose. In addition, the recovery time for this type of rhinoplasty is longer.
- Facelift Surgery
Facelift surgery tightens and smoothens facial skin to give a more proportional look. This surgery targets different uneven areas on the face. For instance, an upper facelift surgery raises the brows, correcting eyebrow asymmetry. The procedure also involves lifting the forehead’s excess skin, decreasing pressure on the eyes, and allowing them open properly.
Other facelift procedures include a mid-facelift and a lower facelift. The mid-facelift targets the middle facial area, correcting droopy cheeks. A lower facelift targets the lower part of the face, especially the jaw and chin area.
Otoplasty is an ear surgery that can reshape your ears to look more proportional. In addition, the surgery can reposition the ears and correct ears that stick too far out of the head.
- Chin Reshaping Surgery
A chin reshaping surgery is suitable for reducing or augmenting the chin. Dr. Karan Chopra may insert a chin implant or move your chin bone forward to add volume to your chin. If you have an overly projected chin, your surgeon may remove excess bone, reducing the size of the chin
- Orthognathic Surgery
Orthognathic surgery is the same as jaw corrective surgery. This procedure reshapes and realigns the jaw, correcting facial asymmetry. A jaw reshaping surgery may be necessary if you have alignment issues, including underbite, overbite, or crossbite.
Dr. Karan Chopra uses a jaw reshaping surgery to move the jaw position forward, backward, or sideways, making your face more symmetrical.
- Buccal Fat Removal
When you have excess fat on just one cheek, one part of your face may look chubbier. A buccal fat removal surgery removes fat from inside the cheek. Dr. Karan Chopra is an expert in removing just the right amount of cheek fat, giving your face better proportions
The results of buccal fat surgery last longer than a fat grafting procedure since the fat does not come back.
- Fat Grafting
A fat grafting procedure involves the transfer of fat to your face. This procedure is safe and does not use any foreign material. Instead, your surgeon harvests fat from another area of your body, like the stomach or hips. The harvested fat is then purified before transferring it to your face.
Fat transfer to the face can improve facial symmetry, and the procedure is especially suitable for people with sunken cheeks. However, it is essential to note that the body absorbs the injected fat, causing them to shrink. So, you may need multiple fat injections to achieve your preferred volume.
Non-Surgical Procedures to Improve Golden Ratio
Non-surgical options for improving face symmetry include dermal fillers and botox. However, it is essential to note that injectables do not offer permanent solutions. Therefore, you may need to get the every few months for the best results.
Fillers contain substances like hyaluronic acid that add volume to the face. This non-surgical procedure can balance asymmetric eyebrows, improve the proportion of the lips, and correct uneven cheeks.
Facial muscle contractions result in wrinkles. Botox smoothens facial wrinkles by paralyzing and relaxing facial muscles. This injectable can also fix uneven and droopy eyebrows.
How Long Do Facial Symmetry Surgery Results Last?
The results of a facial symmetry surgery depend on the procedure performed. For instance, non-surgical procedures like Botox and dermal fillers are short-term solutions. Therefore, they may last between 6-12 months. Usually, you will need to get new fillers after the effects of the current one wear off.
Suppose you get a fat transfer procedure, the fat shrinks because the body reabsorbs the fat. You will typically need multiple filler injections to achieve your desired results. On the other hand, surgical procedures tend to have more permanent results.
What Is The Best Face Symmetry Procedure?
The golden ratio considers the entire face. So, the position of your facial asymmetry may vary; it could be in your eyebrows or lips. Consequently, the best facial symmetry procedure for you depends on the problems you want to correct and your desired results. Other factors determining the best face symmetry procedure for you are your age and the degree of asymmetry.
It is important to remember that facial beauty is not only about symmetry. It is about how all your facial features combine to enhance your appearance. Dr. Karan Chopra is skilled in correcting facial asymmetry while considering other aesthetic facial details that may give you the best look.
What Other Factors Affect Facial Beauty?
Besides face symmetry, your skin quality also affects your beauty. For example, suppose you have hollowed eyes or sunken cheeks. In that case, they can negatively impact your beauty even if you have a proportional face. On the other hand, having a clear and glowing complexion can help you radiate beauty.
You can undergo medical spa treatments like facials and chemical peels to fade scars and reduce sun damage and hyperpigmentation. In addition, laser skin resurfacing can help remove damaged outer skin layers to stimulate new cell growth. This treatment consequently helps to reveal a smoother complexion.
FAQs about Golden Ratio and Facial Beauty
Can you fix facial asymmetry at home?
- Home remedies for an uneven face can only give you temporary solutions. However, you may consider using makeup techniques like contouring and highlighting to achieve a balanced appearance. Furthermore, styling your hair in specific ways can draw attention away from your face. Another home remedy is using eyelid tape to temporarily lift sagging eyelids and temporarily create a symmetrical appearance.
Does sleeping position affect face symmetry?
- Your sleeping position can affect your face symmetry. For instance, sleeping on your side flattens one side of your face, giving that side a less symmetrical shape over time. Therefore, changing your sleeping position often or sleeping on your back is best.
Who qualifies for facial symmetry surgery?
- Suppose you notice unevenness and are unhappy with your facial features. In that case, you can visit Dr. Karan Chopra for a facial symmetry procedure. You may qualify for facial symmetry surgery if you are in good physical health, do not smoke, and are aware of the potential risks. Furthermore, it is best to have realistic expectations.
Further Reading about Face Procedures with Dr. Chopra
- Chopra’s Facelift Surgery Page
- Chopra’s Neck Lipo Surgery Page
- Chopra’s Non-surgical Page
- Chopra’s Facial Fat Grafting Page
- Chopra’s Chin Augmentation Page