Age catches up with everyone. And the results include droopy facial features. But with a facelift, you don’t have to worry about losing your youthful beauty. For instance, a facelift reduces sagging skin and smoothens cheek and jawline folds to give you a youthful appearance.
But because there are different types of facelifts, their results differ. Therefore, before deciding on a facelift procedure, discussing it with Dr. Karan Chopra is the best way to know if you are an eligible candidate for the intervention.
A facelift improves your face and limits the signs of aging. There are surgical and non-surgical facelift techniques. Surgical techniques are invasive but have more long-lasting results compared to non-surgical procedures. It is important to note that the aging process continues whether you get a surgical or non-surgical face rejuvenation procedure.
Generally, facelift procedures are customized. What works for your friend may not necessarily work for you, so you have to discuss it with Dr. Karan Chopra to find out what would be the right procedure for you. You may qualify for a facelift if you are healthy and do not have underlying medical conditions. In addition, you should also be eligible if you have realistic expectations and a positive outlook.
Types Of Facelifts
As mentioned earlier, there are different types of facelifts, including surgical and non-surgical procedures. Let’s take a look at some of the common facelift procedures.
· Liquid Facelift
The liquid facelift is a popular and non-invasive technique. The procedure requires Dr. Karan Chopra to inject a dermal filler. The filler then stimulates collagen production, promoting skin elasticity and giving your face a more youthful appearance.
Although a liquid facelift improves your facial appearance, the results are temporary. Therefore, you need to keep getting replacement injections. This is a great option for patients with loss of volume without a lot of excess skin.
· Deep Plane Facelift
A deep plane facelift is essential in eliminating sagging skin on the neck and base of the chin. This procedure may suit you if you have lax skin around your neck and jaw. In addition, you may qualify for a deep plane facelift if you have pronounced nasolabial folds.
· Mid Facelift
A mid-facelift targets the face’s midsection. This facelift requires your surgeon to remove excess tissue from the cheek, lifting the cheek and eliminating sagging. In addition, a mid-facelift procedure removes wrinkles and fine lines.
Furthermore, this procedure may be suitable if you have vertical folds resulting from sagging, fat loss, and wrinkles around your eyes and cheeks. If you also have drooping lines around your mouth, your surgeon may recommend a mid-facelift.
· Jawline Rejuvenation
Excess fat cells around the jaw and neckline contribute to aging. A jawline rejuvenation involves removing this excess fat through liposuction. Your surgeon can then contour and reshape your jaw for a smoother and younger look.
The S-lift procedure is done in the lower half of the face around the jawline and the neck. Surgeons use an s-shaped incision to separate facial muscles from the skin’s top layer. The S-lift is ideal for lifting the skin, removing excess fat cells, and contouring the muscles. The result of the procedure is smooth and wrinkle-free skin.
· Mini Facelift
A mini facelift may suit you if you have mild sagging skin or jowling. This is typically less invasive and requires Dr. Karan Chopra to tighten your facial tissues through slightly shorter incisions. These incisions are usually located along the hairline above your ear and sometimes in the natural creases surrounding your ear.r
A mini facelift rejuvenates your appearance and refines your jawline. In addition, the results are more long-lasting than a liquid facelift. Furthermore, Dr. Karan Chopra may perform a mini facelift under general or local anesthesia, depending on the situation.
· Traditional Facelift
The traditional facelift is suitable for more pronounced aging signs. However, the procedure is more extensive than a mini facelift and has a longer downtime. However, the results are more long-lasting and noticeable.
Dr. Karan Chopra performs traditional facelifts through incisions behind the hairline near the temples and the front of the ear. He then repositions deep skin tissues and removes excess skin to correct aging and give you a more youthful appearance.
What Is A Ponytail Facelift?
A ponytail facelift is a minimally invasive facelift that requires Dr. Karan Chopra to place small incisions on your face. The result mimics your face when you pull your hair back in a high ponytail. It is important to note that a ponytail facelift is a mini facelift suitable for younger patients.
During a ponytail facelift, your surgeon places the incisions within your hairline. Therefore, this is different from a traditional facelift that places incisions around the ears. With a ponytail facelift, you can still wear your hair in a ponytail without worrying about scar visibility.
How Is A Ponytail Facelift Different From A Traditional Facelift?
The ponytail and traditional facelifts rejuvenate your face to give a more youthful look. Nevertheless, these two procedures have their differences. The differences between a ponytail and a traditional facelift include the following;
· Incision: The traditional facelift requires the use of more incisions compared to the ponytail facelift. Consequently, although generally unnoticeable, the traditional facelift has more scars;
· Recovery Time: The traditional facelift has a longer downtime than the ponytail facelift. You should recover within a week of getting a ponytail facelift. A traditional facelift, on the other hand, has a recovery period of about three weeks;
· Results: Although both procedures give you a younger face, a traditional facelift restores more areas of the face. In addition, the traditional facelift targets the cheeks, eyes, jowls, and neck with excess skin removed. On the other hand, a ponytail facelift does not include removing excess skin;
· Candidates: If you are in your late twenties to late thirties or your face shows early signs of aging, a ponytail facelift may suit you. However, traditional facelifts are ideal for older patients with drooping facial skin.
Why Should You Get A Ponytail Facelift?
A ponytail facelift offers numerous benefits compared to a traditional facelift. Some of the benefits of a ponytail facelift include the following;
- Improving the shape of the face and neck area
The ponytail facelift procedure sculpts and shapes your face by tightening the facial skin. In addition, the procedure repositions the muscle ligaments into a youthful position to achieve a better-sculpted neck.
- Eliminating early signs of aging
The procedure is suitable for younger patients showing early signs of aging. Dr. Karan Chopra carries out the procedure to lift the midface, jowls, and neck and smoothen marionette lines.
- Minimal scarring
The ponytail facelift requires minimal incisions along the hairline. Therefore, you don’t need to worry about facial scars
- Natural results
The procedure is minimally invasive, lifting your face. Consequently, the incisions do not tamper with the natural blood supply to your facial tissues. The result of the procedure is a lifted midface.
- Minimal downtime
Compared to a traditional facelift, the ponytail facelift does not have as much downtime. The procedure is minimally invasive and lifts your skin layers in one flap. Consequently, you should recover within a week.
- Pain-free procedure
Dr. Karan Chopra administers local anesthesia during the ponytail facelift. Consequently, the procedure is pain-free. It is an outpatient procedure and should take about an hour.
What Are The Potential Side Effects Of A Ponytail Facelift?
The most common potential side effect of a ponytail facelift is a hematoma. Hematoma is when blood collects under the skin. Unfavorable scarring, nerve injuries, infection, and delayed wound healing are other potential downsides of a ponytail facelift.
Fortunately, Dr. Karan Chopra is an expert plastic surgeon in facial rejuvenation procedures. Therefore, there is a limited risk of experiencing side effects.
Aftercare For A Ponytail Facelift
Although it takes about a week to fully recover after a ponytail facelift, following these aftercare tips can speed up your recovery and prevent side effects.
- Follow your surgeon’s advice: After the procedure, it is essential to tend to your incisions to improve wound healing. Dr. Karan Chopra will give you guidelines on cleaning and tending to your wounds to minimize scars and help your skin adjust to its new position;
- Avoid stressful activities: The procedure in itself already stresses your body. Therefore, limit stressful activities while you heal. Increasing your stress load can delay wound healing. Examples of stressful activities include exercising or using a steam room;
- Avoid sun exposure: Sun exposure can cause discoloration, especially around the incision site. If you must go out in the sun, apply a sunscreen;
- Take your prescribed medication: Your surgeon will prescribe medication to ease discomfort and soreness. Ensure you use all medications as prescribed;
- Watch your drink intake: It is best to drink plenty of water while recovering from facelift surgery. Water hydrates the skin and eliminates impurities. You can also try fruit juices and teas. However, it is essential to avoid alcohol as this can inhibit your healing.
How Long Does The Effect Of A Ponytail Facelift Last?
The effects of a ponytail facelift are not as permanent as that of a traditional facelift. However, because facial aging continues, the procedure temporarily lifts the face for about 5 to 7 years.
What Is The Best Age For A Ponytail Facelift?
It is best to get a ponytail facelift in your late twenties to late thirties when you start experiencing the signs of aging. Although people in their 60s can still get this facelift, it doesn’t produce as many significant results.
FAQs about Ponytail Facelift
How painful is a ponytail facelift?
- The ponytail facelift is a minimally invasive procedure performed under anesthesia. Consequently, you are numb to the discomfort.
How to slow down the aging process?
Despite getting a ponytail or traditional facelift, it does not stop the aging process. Consequently, the impacts of the procedures are not permanent. Nevertheless, you can reduce the skin aging process, making the effects of your surgery last as long as possible. Ways to slow down aging include:
- Protecting your skin from the sun: the sun emits harmful UV rays that can damage collagen. Using sunscreen and limiting exposure can protect you from harmful rays;
- Avoiding repetitive facial expressions: repetitive facial expressions become a part of you, and they contract underlying muscles. With time, the lines formed from the contraction become permanent;
- Eating a balanced diet: a balanced diet can protect your skin from premature skin aging. Including fruits and vegetables in your diet and limiting sugar and refined carbohydrates is best;
- Exercising: moderate exercise can boost your immune system and improve circulation. Consequently, you get to enjoy a more youthful appearance;
- Avoiding alcohol: alcohol is harsh on the skin and may speed up aging. Therefore, it is best to limit or avoid alcohol.
Can I start exercising soon after a ponytail facelift?
- It is ideal to wait to fully heal before exercising. Physical exercises stress you, strain your stitches, and can impact the results of your procedure. Ensure you take your surgeon’s recommended time off and allow your body to rest.
Further Reading about Facial Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Dr Chopra’s Facelift Surgery Page
- Dr Chopra’s Facial Fat Grafting Page
- Dr Chopra’s Liquid Facelift Page