A chin augmentation or mentoplasty is a surgical procedure performed to improve the appearance and overall aesthetics of the face. A chin remodeling surgery can be done by either placing implants inside the chin or by performing reduction surgery on the bone. By improving the general appearance of your face, a chin augmentation procedure can also help boost your confidence and self-esteem.
Three fundamental elements namely the skin, fat, and the underlying facial bones affect the appearance of the face. Your confidence can be greatly impacted if your facial structure does not fit the right proportions, such as if your chin is sunken, your jaw is undefined, or your cheeks are flat. This makes a chin augmentation procedure with facial implants an ideal option for patients with a weak jaw, small chin, or lack of facial contour.
Despite being an often overlooked aspect of the face’s appearance, the chin remains a crucial facial feature that contributes significantly to overall facial beauty. In order to fully evaluate the effects of a chin augmentation on you, your plastic surgeon must conduct a thorough face evaluation and have a solid grasp of the facial anatomy. In addition to plastic surgery, other non-surgical procedures can be performed on the chin to enhance facial proportions and boost self-esteem. Dr. Karan Chopra usually recommends these kinds of procedures to get better surgical results.
A chin augmentation procedure can be performed at a hospital, an outpatient clinic, or the surgeon’s office, depending on the type of procedure necessary. Before performing a chin augmentation, your plastic surgeon may ask for x-rays of your face and chin. These x-rays will then be used by your surgeon to determine which area of the chin will be operated on.
- Permanent results
- Relatively fast
- By repositioning the chin, a chin augmentation procedure helps to strengthen the appearance of the jaw;
- A chin augmentation gives permanent results and can be performed relatively fast;
- This procedure gives the jaw a more attractive, triangular shape;
- A chin augmentation procedure balances the nose and chin and improves the overall appearance of the face;
- By moving the jawbone or implanting fillers, a chin augmentation increases the height or width of the chin;
- A chin augmentation procedure can help to reduce or eliminate chin dimpling.
"Am I the right candidate?"A chin augmentation is customized for each patient. A chin augmentation can change the lives of individuals who are self-conscious about the appearance of their chin. You should undergo a chin augmentation only for your benefit and not to please others or live up to an idealized image. You’ll be considered for chin augmentation if:
- You are at a healthy weight and are physically active;
- You do not smoke;
- You have realistic expectations from your chin augmentation procedure;
- You are self-conscious about the appearance of your chin;
- You have a short chin or a chin that lacks projection.
Chin augmentation is an aspect of facial plastic surgery that aids people who want to enhance their facial characteristics in developing a larger, more prominent, or carved chin. This procedure also helps to balance the face by addressing structural flaws in the chin. A chin augmentation procedure is customized to meet the specific needs of the patient and it is performed on both women and men.
A chin augmentation is performed to improve the overall appearance of the face by enhancing the structure and appearance of the chin. An operation known as a genioplasty or mentoplasty can be performed using a small silicone implant that is placed either through an incision hidden inside the mouth or through a small external incision hidden under the chin area. These contoured silicone implants give the chin projection to balance the facial profile.
Chin implants are often combined with facial slimming procedures such as a deep neck lift or deep plane facelift. These implants do not need to be replaced or modified. Patients can safely keep these implants in the chin area for 40 to 50 years without any issues.
In some cases, your plastic surgeon will recommend a chin augmentation procedure if you are having a rhinoplasty or have a large nose and do not wish to pursue a rhinoplasty. This is because the size of the chin can either accentuate or detract from the appearance of the nose.
A weak chin can cause the overall facial structure to appear out of proportion. In many cases, the positioning of the chin can make the jaw and neck area lack definition and make patients appear older than they are. Fortunately, with a chin augmentation procedure, you can greatly improve the appearance of your facial contours and profile. This can be performed alone or as part of a deep neck lift. This is one of the reasons for the increasing popularity of chin augmentation procedures especially when it is done by an experienced board-certified plastic surgeon like Dr. Karan Chopra.
ProcessDuring the chin augmentation procedure, you will receive medication to help you remain comfortable. Local anesthetic, intravenous sedation, and general anesthesia are the usual options. The medication option that is ideal for you will be recommended by your surgeon.
Depending on the technique employed and your surgeon's preferred method, a chin surgery needs a variety of incisions. While some plastic surgeons perform the procedure through an incision within the mouth, others make their incision under the patient's chin. Whenever possible, Dr. Chopra likes to use an incision hidden inside the mouth to avoid any visible scars on the outside
- COSTS: The cost of this procedure may vary from patient to patient depending on various factors such as type of correction, surgical fees, and anesthesia fees. A detailed quote will be provided during your consultation.
RecoveryIn order to reduce swelling and support the healing chin after surgery, you can try using a compression garment or an elastic bandage. You will be given specific mouth rinses and/or put on a liquid diet after having a chin implant inserted through an oral incision. You will receive detailed guidelines from Dr. Chopra, which includes medications to take to speed up your healing and prevent infection, how to care of the site of your surgery, and when to get in touch with your plastic surgeon. Dr. Chopra will ensure that you have detailed instructions regarding what to anticipate throughout your recovery period. The swelling that follows chin surgery may initially hide the final results. Swelling lasts approximately two to three weeks. Surgery and medical treatment are not exact sciences. Although positive outcomes are anticipated, there is no assurance. In rare cases, a single surgical treatment might not be sufficient to produce the best results, and a second surgery can be required. Instead of going back into surgery, some patients will use injectable fillers to enhance their results. When you get home, if you have trouble breathing, chest pain, or strange heartbeats, get medical help right away. You might need hospitalization and additional care if any of these side effects appear. It is important to follow your surgeon’s instructions after a chin augmentation. You should also protect the site of your surgery and ensure that it is not subjected to abrasion or excessive force during the recovery period.
What Are The Downsides To A Chin Augmentation Procedure?
- A chin augmentation procedure with facial implants carries the risk of post-operative swelling, infection, or minimal bleeding. Thankfully, these risks are low and very easy to treat;
- A chin augmentation procedure is not the same with every plastic surgeon. If you fail to properly explain your expectations and desired goals to your plastic surgeon, then it is possible that you may not be satisfied with the post-surgery results;
- There may be infection after a chin augmentation with facial implants. This occurs in approximately 1% of patients and is mild. This typically resolves after a few days of oral antibiotics;
- Implant displacement or uneven resorption may lead to improper contouring.
FAQs about Chin Augmentation Procedure
How long does chin augmentation last?
- A chin augmentation with silicone implants can last a lifetime. The silicone chin implant is firmly fixed in place during the procedure and won’t move or change location. Therefore, a second surgery will be necessary if you request to have the position of the chin implant altered. On the other hand, while chin augmentation with dermal fillers is less invasive than other chin augmentation methods, it also doesn’t last as long. Chin augmentation with dermal fillers usually lasts around 6-12 months.
How painful is chin augmentation?
- It is okay to experience some soreness and discomfort after your chin augmentation procedure. Your plastic surgeon can prescribe pain medications to help you manage any pain you may experience after your procedure.
How long does it take to recover from chin augmentation?
- It usually takes about six weeks for most of the swelling from your chin augmentation procedure to subside, at which point you can begin to see the results of your procedure. For the first weeks after your chin augmentation, your plastic surgeon may advise against engaging in strenuous exercise. Approximately 10 days are required before normal activities can be resumed.
Does chin augmentation improve jawline?
- This procedure strengthens and improves your jawline and can help give you a larger, more prominent, or curved chin. A chin augmentation can improve your profile and add more definition to your jawline if your chin is weak and lacking strength which balances your facial features. A chin augmentation procedure also enhances your overall facial appearance.
Does chin augmentation change your smile?
- Your smile may temporarily change as a result of the implant being positioned below the chin muscle, one of several muscles responsible for lip movement. This normally lasts for a short while and is linked to postoperative swelling. A chin augmentation procedure rarely ever causes irreversible alterations to your smile.
Is a chin augmentation worth it?
- Considering the improvements made to their overall facial appearance, the majority of patients who have undergone a chin augmentation have found it worthwhile. A chin augmentation procedure may be a life-changing procedure for people whose confidence is affected by the appearance of their chin.