Dr. Chopra understands his patients experience both psychological and physical distress from various breast related conditions. Breast lift surgery empowers his patients to begin emotional healing and reclaim their bodies. Dr. Chopra is a leading reconstructive breast surgeon, who is committed to evolving breast surgery techniques in an effort to expand patient options and outcomes. As an expert, his work has been featured and published in countless peer-reviewed medical journals and communicated in lectures given across the country.
Reconstructive Breast surgery can help to correct and…
Restore Breast Shape and size
Rebuild Nipple or Areola Area
"Am I the right candidate?"
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Completed a mastectomy or double mastectomy
- Concluded radiation treatment
- Oncologist Approval
- Have realistic expectations of the procedure
- Desire to restore their breasts for themselves, not someone else
Patients in need of Breast Reconstructive surgery will discuss procedure options in depth with Dr. Chopra to achieve the best possible results and outcome. Tissue Flap Breast Reconstruction (Autologous Reconstruction, using patient’s own tissue) An ideal procedure for patients with small to medium sized breasts, for patients who desire a very natural look and feel. Using a patient’s own tissue from a donor site on the body (back, thigh, abdomen), is used to construct a new breast mound. Breast Reconstruction With Implants A procedure in which a temporary expander is placed within the breast pocket to create space for an implant. Over several weeks the expander is slowly filled to accomodate a carefully pre-selected implant size for the patient’s best fit. If only one breast requires reconstruction, a complementary lift or reduction may be required to create symmetry between both breasts.
- COSTS: Breast reconstruction is mandated by law to be covered by healthcare insurance. Patients are encouraged to contact your insurance provider about your coverage options.
- Reconstructive Breast procedures are unique to each individual patient’s needs, therefore the process differs considerably based on the technique. Dr. Chopra and his team are committed to patient safety in order to provide the best aesthetic outcome.
- To determine the degree upon how the breast shape and size can be constructed, can only be done with an in-person appointment with Dr. Chopra. A good candidate for this surgical procedure will present solid tissue surface area despite scarring, show good blood supply and healthy tissue movement to attempt a positive revision surgery.
- Minimal scarring, however the amount of scarring that develops is dependent on the techniques used as well as your body’s natural healing process. While Dr. Chopra is careful to utilize scarless or seamless-scar techniques, some patients are biologically more prone to visible scarring that will likely to fade over time.
- Each patient’s treatment plan to rebuild their breast(s) is unique to their needs, making the recovery period variable. Most patients are discharged from the hospital after a few days, with drains in place that collect and drain fluid from the incision sites as they heal. Dr. Chopra and his medical team will educate patients on how to properly care for incisions to properly heal.
- Post-operative compression garments are recommended for up to 1-3 weeks to help healing. Light activity such as walking and standing are encouraged, as soon as the patient is comfortable doing so.
- Most patients can fully resume normal activity in eight weeks, although it should be noted that autologous reconstruction often requires a slightly longer recovery period when compared to implant-based reconstruction since there are two wound sites that need to heal. You will receive non-opioid pain medication to help you manage any discomfort during recovery. While most swelling should subside after approximately two months, it can take up to one year for all tissues to fully heal. You should avoid exercise, strenuous activity, and heavy lifting for four to six weeks or until Dr. Chopra instructs otherwise. We will monitor your progress through regular follow-up appointments at our Minneapolis practice.
Dr. Chopra gives you the “Power to Re-Imagine Yourself” with the ENVISION Consultation. During your one-on-one consultation, Dr. Chopra will discuss long term goals, an artistic treatment strategy alongside risks, benefits, and costs.
- Avoid certain medications including over the counter painkillers and other drugs that are known blood thinners. Blood thinners can lead to severe complications during surgery and recovery and are advised against during all surgeries
- Patients who smoke should plan to quit for several months before and after. Smoke inhibits the bloods oxygen supply, which can also cause severe problems during surgery and cause the recovery period to be prolonged.