Your face is one of the first things people notice about you. However, with the aging process, everyone is prone to loss of volume in the face, droopy eyelids and brows, and loose skin. But with a facelift, you can restore your youthfulness and facial beauty.
Many people do not want to undergo a facelift due to the procedure's invasiveness. But what if there is a minimally invasive procedure that also produces excellent results?
The ponytail facelift is a popular, minimally invasive technique that lifts your face. So, you can pull your hair back in a ponytail and have a sculpted look. In addition, because the procedure is less invasive, Dr. Chopra only makes small incisions behind your hairline. So you don't have to worry about your scars being visible.
Dr. Karan Chopra is a John Hopkins-trained surgeon with experience in facial, breast, and body contouring procedures. Due to his deep understanding of facial contouring, Dr. Chopra is an expert in crafting customized treatments to suit each patient. So, rest assured you will get a procedure that helps you achieve your aesthetic goals.
- The procedure is minimally invasive;
- You can wear your hair up since there are no visible scars;
- The results are long-lasting;
- The procedure redrapes your face vertically upwards and not horizontally. Therefore, there is no windblown look;
- The results are natural, the overdone look is avoided;
- There is less downtime;
- The procedure eliminates the early signs of aging.
"Am I the right candidate?"
- The procedure is suitable for patients with minimal signs of aging. If you are in your 30s to 40s, a ponytail facelift should be ideal for you;
- Good physical health;
- It would be best if you had realistic expectations of the procedure. A ponytail facelift only eliminates the early signs of aging. It does not require the removal of excess skin;
- You want a minimally invasive procedure with minimal downtime;
- Non-smokers. Smoking can produce blood clots and delay healing.
A ponytail facelift is minimally invasive. Dr. Chopra will begin the procedure by making small incisions behind your hairline, after you are under the effects of the anesthesia. Afterward, Dr. Chopra will lift your facial muscles to give you a tighter skin. Your surgeon then closes your incision using sutures that may dissolve in a few days. Because the incisions are hidden, there should be minimal scarring. Next, Dr. Chopra will place a head dressing to help you heal faster.
What Are the Other Types of Facelifts besides Ponytail Facelift?There are different types of facelifts, and your surgeon will recommend one based on your candidacy and aesthetic goals. Besides the ponytail facelift, there is the deep plane facelift, liquid facelift, traditional facelift, and S-lift. These procedures differ in invasiveness and results.
- Deep plane facelift: this type of facelift is suitable for you if you have nasolabial folds or loose skin around your jaw and neck. The procedure lifts your SMAS layer, straightening wrinkles and restoring youthfulness. Although invasive, the results of a deep plane facelift can last between 10 and 15 years;
- Liquid facelift: this procedure is non-invasive and requires dermal filler injections. The injections stimulate collagen production to give you a more youthful look. Liquid facelift produces temporary results. So, you may need to keep getting replacement injections;
- S-lift: the S-lift is done on the lower half of the face. The procedure requires your surgeon to lift the skin, remove excess fat cells, and contour the muscles. The results of an S-lift can last up to 10 years;
- Mid-facelift: this procedure targets the midsection of your face, removing wrinkles and fine lines. Your surgeon removes excess tissue in the cheeks to eliminate sagging. Although the procedure is invasive, it produces long-lasting results;
- Traditional facelift: this is invasive and suitable for addressing more visible signs of aging. The procedure is extensive and has a more extended downtime. Nevertheless, it produces the most long-lasting and visible results.
ProcessDr. Chopra lifts the face vertically to correct early signs of aging and restore youthfulness. During an ENVISIONS consultation, Dr. Chopra will discuss the procedure's risk, benefits, and cost with you. After the consultation, your surgeon will recommend a customized treatment plan that satisfies your aesthetic goals. You will also discuss pre and post-operational instructions with your surgeon for a smooth procedure and fast recovery.
TIME: the procedure takes between 2 and 3 hours to complete
COSTS: the cost of a ponytail facelift varies for all patients. You should discuss the cost and get a detailed quote from your surgeon during consultation.
Anesthesia prevents discomfort during surgery. For example, you may get general anesthesia for your ponytail facelift. This provides maximum comfort during the procedure. Your surgeon will also prescribe medication to help with discomfort post-procedure.
- There are concerns about hair loss since the incisions are made in the hair;
- Pain, bruising, and swelling;
- Scarring and nerve injuries;
- Hematoma- collection of blood beneath the skin is called a hematoma.
RecoveryPERMANENCY: the results of a ponytail facelift can last between 5 and 7 years. You should see final results a few months after the procedure.
- Recovery time is about one week;
- Avoid strenuous activities for four weeks post-procedure;
- Use prescribed pain-relief medications;
- Eat a balanced and healthy diet. Nutritious and anti-oxidant-rich foods promote healing;
- Get enough sleep. Sleep boosts your immunity and reduces inflammation and pain. It also helps the body repair damaged tissues;
- Avoid smoking. Smoking can result in less blood flow and delayed healing;
- Stay hydrated. Water hydrates the skin and promotes wound healing.
FAQs about Ponytail Facelift
Is a Ponytail Facelift different from a traditional facelift?
- A ponytail facelift differs from a traditional one, including in terms of the incisions, recovery time, results, and candidacy. A traditional facelift requires more incisions than a ponytail facelift. Consequently, the procedure results in more noticeable scars. In addition, there is less downtime after a ponytail facelift since the procedure is minimally invasive. Recovery after a traditional facelift takes longer. However, the procedure gives more long-lasting and youthful results than a ponytail facelift. This is because your surgeon will not remove excess skin during a ponytail. People who qualify for a traditional facelift are older people with drooping facial skin. On the other hand, you are a good candidate for a ponytail facelift if you are experiencing the early signs of aging.
Is a Ponytail Facelift painful?
- Surgeons carry out ponytail facelifts under general anesthesia. Therefore, you shouldn't feel discomfort during the procedure. When the effects of the anesthesia wear out, you may experience slight discomfort. Your surgeon will prescribe pain medication to help you feel more comfortable during the initial days of the recovery.
What should I expect during a Ponytail Facelift consultation?
- When you visit Dr. Chopra for a facelift, you should be prepared to discuss your surgical goals, previous surgeries, and current medications. You will also discuss your medical conditions and allergies. Your surgeon will also evaluate your health status and risk factors. You will also discuss the likely outcome of the procedure, potential risks, and the type of anesthesia you will use during the surgery.
How young does a Facelift make you look?
- A facelift can make you look about ten years younger. Usually, older patients see more dramatic results. Nevertheless, the procedure also makes younger patients look even younger.
What is downtime like after a Ponytail Facelift?
- You may experience slight bruising and swelling for about two weeks after your surgery. However, the discomfort should wear off if you follow your surgeon's post-procedure instructions. Avoid combing or brushing your hair vigorously to speed healing and prevent complications. Otherwise, you may irritate the incision areas and sutures. Instead, treat your hair gently and use non-irritating shampoo until the sites heal.
What are the downsides of a Ponytail Facelift?
- Although a ponytail lift restores your youthfulness, the procedure does not address a saggy jawline or neck. Therefore, you may need additional surgery to target these areas. This procedure may not be for you if you are looking for a more lifted appearance.
How to prepare for a Ponytail Facelift
- Before getting a ponytail lift, it is ideal to visit Dr. Chopra for an ENVISIONS consultation. During the consultation, ensure you ask questions to understand the procedure, its risks, and its benefits fully. If you have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to ask. Also, make arrangements for your transportation home after the procedure. It would be best if you also got your prescriptions beforehand. Furthermore, stay off alcohol for at least two weeks before your surgery. You should also avoid aspirin and other medications that may increase bleeding and bruising.
How should you sleep after a Ponytail Lift?
- After your procedure, it is advisable to sleep on your back. Sleeping on your back does not put pressure on your incision sites and thus prevents complications. If you usually sleep on your side or stomach, you may find it difficult to sleep on your back. You can prop yourself with additional pillows to avoid rolling off your position or moving excessively while sleeping. When you have recovered fully, your surgeon will evaluate your scars and let you know if you can return to your favorite sleeping position.
How soon can I exercise after a Ponytail Facelift?
- Exercise stresses you and strains your stitches. Consequently, it can have adverse effects on the results of your surgery. Therefore, avoiding physical activity is best. It would be best if you also allowed your body to rest after the procedure. Make sure to ask your surgeon before you resuming your workouts or gym training. It would be best if you start with light exercises like walking and stretches.
What are the best exercises after a Ponytail Facelift?
- After getting a ponytail lift, you need to rest to speed up your recovery. When you want to start exercising, it is best to do so progressively and not push yourself. For instance, walking is a light exercise. After a few weeks, you can start cycling and stretching. When cycling, you don't necessarily have to do so at an incline. Instead, you can use a stationary bike or ride slowly on a straight road. Cycling helps you exercise your legs without stressing your body. Nevertheless, take breaks whenever you feel tired. Stretches relieve stress and relax your body. But avoid doing intense poses. If you feel any discomfort, it is best to stop or change poses. You can also try out pilates after your facelift. Pilates targets muscle groups and builds your strength without using weights. This low-impact exercise is excellent after a ponytail facelift. But, again, it is best to start with slow, non-intensive exercises.
How to Make the Results of a Ponytail Facelift Last Longer?The results of a ponytail facelift do not last forever because the aging process continues. However, you can slow down aging and make the effects of your surgery last longer. You can protect your skin and slow down aging by:
- Eating a balanced diet. A balanced diet nourishes your skin and reduces the signs of aging. It is best to include more fruits and vegetables in your diet while limiting refined carbohydrates and sugars;
- Use sunscreen to protect your skin from harmful UV rays. It would be best if you also avoided exposure as often as possible;
- Exercising improves blood flow and boosts your immune system to give you a more youthful appearance;
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol. Tobacco smoke damages skin cells and leads to premature aging. Excessive alcohol consumption also accelerates aging;
- Get enough sleep. Sleeping improves blood flow, allowing your organs to repair collagen and reduce wrinkles and spots. It is best to sleep for at least 7 hours every night.