People attribute beauty to the face. Therefore, it is normal to want a beautiful face. Unfortunately, aging causes droopiness and loss of facial volume, resulting in wrinkles and sagging skin. However, with facial procedures, you can reduce the signs of aging and achieve a youthful face. Although there are different types of facelifts, most patients are concerned to get the procedure due to the invasiveness and the use of general anesthesia. Fortunately, with a mini facelift, you don't have to worry about this.
A mini facelift is a minimally invasive procedure that restores youthfulness by addressing the signs of aging and wrinkling. Dr. Chopra uses this procedure to remove and pull up sagging skin. Furthermore, the mini facelift is a modified version of the traditional facelift. The procedure requires smaller incisions and minimal cuts to the underlying tissue.
Dr. Karan Chopra is a distinguished plastic and reconstructive surgeon specializing in facial, breast, and body reconstruction. He believes every patient is unique and deserves a customized treatment plan. After an ENVISIONS consultation, Dr. Chopra will craft your treatment plan to satisfy your aesthetic goals with minimal risks.
- The procedure is minimally invasive and does not require as many incisions as a traditional facelift;
- The minimal incisions reduce the potential for scarring;
- Chopra carries out a mini facelift under local and not general anesthesia. Therefore, there is minimal discomfort post-surgery, faster recovery, and less downtime;
- A mini facelift is more affordable than a full facelift;
- The procedure elevates the fat tissues and muscles in the cheeks to give a more sculpted, natural look.
"Am I the right candidate?"
- You have sagging skin at the jowls;
- You want a more youthful appearance and a sculpted jawline;
- You have loose but not drooping neck skin;
- You have a moderate loss of facial volume;
- You are unhappy with the signs of aging on your face;
- You want an alternative to a full facelift;
- You are in your late 40s or early 50s;
- You need a fast recovery.
The mini facelift procedure requires minimal incisions. Dr. Chopra will make small incisions at your hairline, extending behind your hair. These incisions do not extend into your temporal region or upper forehead like in a traditional or deep-plane facelift. After making the incisions, Dr. Chopra will lift the SMAS muscle. This results in a tighter dermis and a more youthful appearance. The SMAS (superficial musculoaponeurotic system) connects the facial muscles to the dermis. Afterward, your surgeon will close the incisions using sutures that may dissolve or be removed after a few days. Dr. Chopra should also place a head dressing to speed up healing. Once healed, the incisions are well concealed and nearly invisible.
ProcessDr. Chopra improves your face aesthetics using a mini facelift procedure. During an ENVISIONS consultation, Dr. Chopra will discuss your goals and expectations. Before recommending a treatment plan, you will undergo a comprehensive health assessment. You will also learn about the procedure's benefits, risks, and costs with your surgeon. Furthermore, Dr. Chopra will discuss pre and post-surgery instructions with you for a smooth operation and the best results.
TIME: The procedure takes between 1 to 2 hours to complete
COSTS: The cost of a mini facelift varies for all patients, and it depends on several factors. These factors include anesthesia fees, consultation fees, the cost of surgical facilities, and medical tests.
Anesthesia prevents discomfort during your procedure. You will get local anesthesia for a mini facelift since the procedure is minimally invasive. Dr. Chopra will prescribe pain relief medications to help with discomfort post-surgery
- Temporary damage to facial nerve controlling muscles;
- Swelling and soreness at the incision site for the first few days post-surgery;
- Anesthesia complications including hematoma, poor scarring, bleeding, and infection.
RecoveryRecovery after a mini facelift happens within a week of the procedure. But, it may take two to four weeks to see the results of a mini-facelift. So, the results of this procedure may last between 5 and 10 years, depending on your skincare routine post-surgery. Aging still occurs at the same rate after a mini facelift. Therefore, it is essential to protect your skin from the sun and follow a dedicated anti-aging skincare routine
- Follow Dr. Chopra's post-op instructions for a faster recovery. Use the prescribed medication for the first few days following your procedure;
- Rest for at least 24 hours after your surgery. Use a recliner or two pillows to keep your head elevated;
- Avoid sleeping on the side of your face. Instead, sleep with the back of your head on a pillow for the first two weeks;
- Place ice packs on the surgical site to help with the swelling;
- Avoid alcohol and smoking for a few weeks after your procedure.
FAQs about Mini Facelift Surgery
What are the cons of a mini facelift?
- The mini facelift procedure does not address skin laxity issues in the cheeks and midface. You will need to get additional procedures like eyelid surgery in addition to the mini facelift to correct other facial problems. These procedures add up, affecting the overall cost of your surgery. Furthermore, a mini facelift does not address the neck. You will have to get a neck lift to address these issues. Another downside to a mini facelift is that it has the same risks as a traditional facelift. These risks include nerve injury, bleeding, and infection.
How is a mini facelift different from a traditional Facelift?
- A mini facelift and a traditional facelift are different in the issues they address, the recovery time, and the results. A traditional facelift addresses marionette lines, sagging in the upper and lower neck skin, and lower and mid nasolabial folds. The procedure also addresses vertical neck bands and jowls. On the other hand, a mini facelift does not address the neck or a sagging midface. The mini facelift requires shorter incisions in front of the ear and temple scalp. Consequently, there are lower chances of scarring compared to a traditional facelift. Another difference is the results. For example, the result of a mini facelift may not last up to 10 years. On the other hand, a traditional facelift produces results that can last for more than 15 years. The recovery time after a mini facelift is usually one week. In contrast, recovery after a traditional facelift may take about two weeks.
Is a Mini Facelift worth it?
- A mini facelift should be a good investment if you are in your 40s and have minimal sagging around your neck, jowl, and jaw. The procedure is minimally invasive, has less downtime, and is less expensive than a full facelift. In addition, you should be back to your daily routine within one to three weeks after the procedure.
How to prepare for a Mini Facelift?Before your surgery, your surgeon will give you pre-operation instructions to ensure your procedure goes smoothly. Some of these instructions include:
- Staying off alcohol for at least two weeks before the surgery;
- Staying off NSAIDs, including aspirin and other medications and supplements that may increase bruising and bleeding during and after the procedure;
- Avoid smoking and use of marijuana for at least six weeks before the surgery;
- Arrange for care for at least 24 hours after the surgery.
How to care for your skin after a Mini Facelift?
- After a facelift, you should see significant changes in your appearance. However, the procedure does not stop the aging process. Caring for your skin improves your appearance and also speeds up your recovery. Skin care after a mini facelift includes cleansing and moisturizing: when cleaning your face, gently wash with a mild antibacterial cleanser to prevent bacterial buildup. After cleansing, pat your face dry with a clean towel and apply any antibiotic ointment your surgeon may have prescribed. Afterward, apply a moisturizer. Applying makeup: it is best to avoid wearing makeup for about a week after your mini facelift. Applying makeup on open wounds is not ideal. If you have to, it is best to use mineral makeup because they are lighter alternatives and are gentle on the skin. Furthermore, always wash off your makeup each night. Exposing your face to the sun after a mini facelift can harm your skin. Because you need vitamin D, regular exposure is not harmful. Nevertheless, ensure you use sunscreen with at least SPF 30 to protect your skin and avoid clogging your pores. You can also use your hat and sunglasses for extra protection. Hydration removes toxins from your body and gives you a youthful appearance. Water is the best option for staying hydrated. In addition, your diet is also essential in speeding your recovery after a mini facelift and giving you long-lasting results. It is best to consume high-calorie and protein diets to give you strength and nourish your body. In addition, ensure you add fruits and fiber to your diet. Also, avoid skipping meals. Your diet is key to plump, healthy-looking skin.
How much younger does a Mini Facelift make you look?
- A mini facelift gives your face dramatic results making you look ten years younger. Because the surgery lifts your facial muscles, it defines your jaw, chin, and lower facial area. It also reduces sagging, giving you a youthful face to wake up to every morning. The results of a mini facelift are unique and look natural.
Can you exercise after a Mini Facelift?
- Avoid exercising for the first 48 hours after your mini facelift. Exercising too early can stress your incision sites and cause bruising and swelling. You can gradually begin walking for 15 to 20 minutes after 48 hours. It may take about six weeks to return to your full exercise routine.
What are the best exercises after a Mini Facelift?The best exercises after your procedure include walking, cycling, pilates, yoga, and stretching.
- WALKING: walking is the best exercise after surgery, including a mini facelift. This exercise promotes blood circulation, speeds healing, and prevents blood clots. It is best to start slowly and take the necessary breaks when walking. Then, you can gradually build up your pace as you heal.
- CYCLING: you should be able to cycle four weeks post-surgery. You can use a stationary bike or cycle outside. Nevertheless, avoid cycling at high speeds or inclines. Instead, focus on leg movement. Anytime you feel weak or tired, take breaks.
- PILATES: you can do pilates four weeks post-op. This form of exercise targets muscle groups without lifting heavy weights. It is best to start with small reps and intensity and build up as you go.
- YOGA AND STRETCHES: This exercise relaxes your body and relieves stress. You should be able to start yoga and stretches four weeks after your mini facelift. Nevertheless, avoid doing intense poses to prevent putting pressure on your incisions.
Do you need a chin strap after a Mini Facelift?
- A chinstrap withstands the forces of gravity after your surgery and reduces swelling. You must wear a chinstrap for the first two weeks post-op. However, you may take it off when eating, cleaning your incisions, or showering.
How to sleep after a Mini Facelift?
- After your mini facelift, your surgeon will advise you to sleep on your back with your head elevated at a 30-degree angle. Sleeping this way prevents complications, improves healing, and gives you the best results. Although it may be pretty difficult to sleep on your back at first, especially if you sleep on your stomach or side, your body will adjust to it in no time. In addition, you can place additional pillows at your sides to prevent excessive movement or rolling over in your sleep. Your surgeon will evaluate your healing process and let you know when you can return to your preferred sleeping position. You should be able to resume your sleeping position within two to four weeks.